Mood disorders are characterized by a serious change in mood that cause disruption to life activities. Feelings of negativity can affect your whole being. While different types of depression exist, most have mood, cognitive, sleep, behavioral, whole body, and weight effects. A 2006 National Institute of Mental Health study shows significant improvement with ketamine infusion versus placebo patients. Ketamine IV therapy has restored the hope of many patients who have not responded well to other treatments.
Major Depressive Disorder
What Is MDD?
MDD, also referred to as clinical depression, is a significant medical condition that can affect many areas of your life. It impacts mood and behavior as well as various physical functions, such as appetite and sleep. People with MDD often lose interest in activities they once enjoyed and have trouble performing everyday activities. Occasionally, they may also feel as if life isn’t worth living.
Psychotherapy, medication management (antidepressants), lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, sleep)
Ketamine for MDD
- Typical antidepressants can take weeks or months to work. Many patients find relief immediately after their first Ketamine treatment.
- Ketamine works by increasing the synaptic connections between nerve cells in the brain.
- Within a few ketamine treatments, patients report improved moods, energy levels, concentration and self-esteem. Ketamine helps reduce suicidal ideations and restore chemical imbalances caused by depression.
What is bipolar disorder?
Bipolar mood disorders are characterized by the cycling between depressed, or low, mood and manic, or elevated, moods.Major depressive disorder is characterized by overall depressed mood. Elevated moods are characterized by mania or hypomania. The cycling between both depressed and manic moods is characteristic of bipolar mood disorders.
Ketamine for Bipolar disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
What is OCD?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder in which people have recurring, unwanted thoughts, ideas or sensations (obsessions) that make them feel driven to do something repetitively (compulsions). The repetitive behaviors, such as hand washing, checking on things or cleaning, can significantly interfere with a person’s daily activities and social interactions. For people with OCD, thoughts are persistent and unwanted routines and behaviors are rigid and not doing them causes great distress.
OCD treatment methods include talk therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), exposure and desensitization therapy, support groups medication management, or a combination of therapies.
Medication management typically includes a combination of antidepressants, to elevate mood, and anxiolytics, to reduce anxiety and stress
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) like Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil or Lexapro help to reduce anxiety and improve mood.
- Other antidepressants like Effexor and Anafranil treat depression and compulsive behaviors.
Ketamine for OCD
- Medications and Therapy keep some symptoms of OCD under control, however, many individuals suffer from side effects due to long term use of antidepressants or develop a dependency on them.Ketamine therapy has proven to be a very effective option for people suffering from anxiety and severe OCD; Treatment may help prevent obsessive and intrusive thoughts.
- Low-dose ketamine infusions have been effective for improving anxiety and lifting mood, thereby elimination compulsive behaviors and obsessive thoughts.
- Exposure therapy after completing a course of ketamine treatments help individuals create healthier rituals to cope with everyday life.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
What is PTSD?
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that's triggered by a terrifying event — either experiencing it or witnessing it. Symptoms may include flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event. These symptoms cause significant problems in social or work situations and in relationships, and often interfere with daily activities.
- Intrusive memories
- Upsetting dreams or nightmares.
- Emotional distress when reminded of the traumatic event.
- Avoiding certain things, places, or people.
- Hesitance to talk about the traumatic event.
- Negative changes in thinking and mood
- Detachment from friends and family.
- Lack of interest in activities once enjoyed.
- Changes in physical and emotional reactions
- Difficulty sleeping.
- Difficulty concentrating.
- Easily startled
- Self-destructive behavior.
- Current Treatments.
Current treatment options include a combination of talk therapy, or psychotherapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Exposure or Desensitization Therapy, anxiolytics, and antidepressants
Ketamine for PTSD
Low-dose ketamine infusions have been effective for improving anxiety and lifting mood, thereby elimination compulsive behaviors and obsessive thoughts
What are anxiety disorder?
- Generalized anxiety disorder.
- Characterized by increased heart rate etc etc.
- anxiolytics (Xanax).
Ketamine for anxiety disorders
Studies have shown that ketamine infusion patients had ongoing improvements in social functioning and/or work functioning during maintenance treatment. The impact of one ketamine infusion lasted about 14 weeks for some patients.
What is postpartum depression?
Most new moms experience postpartum "baby blues" after childbirth, which commonly include mood swings, crying spells, anxiety, and difficulty sleeping. Baby blues typically begin within the first two to three days after delivery, and may last for up to two weeks. Some new moms experience a more severe, long-lasting form of depression known as postpartum depression. Symptoms include depressed mood, mood swings, insomnia, excessive crying, irritability, loss of appetite, hopelessness, anxiety, and irritability. If untreated, postpartum depression may last for many months.
Ketamine for Post-partum depression
Low-dose ketamine infusions have been effective for improving anxiety and lifting mood, thereby elimination compulsive behaviors and obsessive thoughts.